We all know about crunch time—when it becomes apparent that projects are getting backed up and everyone is going to have to work like dogs to try to get the work done. Well, as summer fades and autumn beckons from around the corner, it’s crunch time at the CPSC. While no one can be certain (because deadlines can get pushed in any bureaucracy), based on our FY13 Operating Plan and the Mid-year Update, here are some of the issues I anticipate will soon be hitting our desks for decisions:
- Final Rule on rare earth magnets;
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on the CPSC staff’s role in voluntary standards committees;
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on voluntary recalls;
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for § 1101 with changes related to §6(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Act (CPSA) about public disclosure of information obtained under CPSA;
- Final Rule for § 1110 Certificates of Conformity; and
- Operating Plan for Fiscal Year 2014 (which begins October 1st).
We will have busy times ahead with important regulatory issues. Get ready to comment, participate, and track where appropriate.